Ballet Building closes for renovation
Newly named in September to Erma Lowe Hall, the structure will receive an elevator, new stairs, studios and offices before reopening in August.
by Rick Waters '95
Updated: Monday, January 17, 2011
T he Ballet Building closed in December for renovation and will reopen in August 2011. Built in 1921 as the campus gymnasium, the antiquated structure will undergo a massive face lift that will include an elevator tower and new stairs, providing handicap accessibility to all areas. Dance studios and audience seating will be improved and rest rooms will be added.
The campus relic, facing University Drive for almost nine decades, was officially renamed in September to Erma Lowe Hall, in honor of the late TCU trustee and philanthropist.
During construction, the School for Classical and Contemporary Dance will move to a series of rooms in the University Recreation Center and Cyrus K. and Ann C. Rickel Building for the spring and summer terms. A temporary dance studio will be constructed on the first floor of the GrandMarc at Westberry Place as well.
When finished, the hall will lose its central stairs and old swimming pool. A new elevator tower will be added on the north side and a smaller stair tower will be added on the south side of the building.
The three dance studios will remain in place. Studio B will be enlarged to allow comfortable audience seating and an audio/visual booth.
Locker rooms, conditioning classroom, the costume shop and equipment storage will be in the basement level. The first level will have offices, the computer lab, a student lounge and conference room. The second and third levels will have the improved dance studios, audience seating, audio/visual booth and rest rooms.
All summer events for 2011 have been canceled. The annual spring dance concert will be held in Ed Landreth Auditorium as usual, while smaller events will take place in alternative venues, such as the atrium of the Neeley School and in Buschman Theatre.